Monday 12 September 2011

Queen Milli of Galt shimmering on stage


Queen Milli of Galt opened on the weekend, and the response to the show is wonderful. There is no greater joy than sitting in the back row on opening night, watching actor and audience respond to the story and to one another. A brand new creation shimmers on stage, and what is so wonderful about the theatre is that that new creation is never the same. Each night it bends to the response of the audience, the moments between actors, the discovery of a nuance in a line, or a new timing that sparks laughter or tears. The theatre is the most glorious of art forms. It combines the skills of so many people - craftspersons, technicians, writers, designers, performers, musicians and composers. It is precise in it’s creation, yet filled with spontaneity. And the audience is the final participant to be added to that magical mix. I would even go so far as to say that in the grand scheme of things, people participate in a kind of creative destiny together where what is offered is received and altered by each participant. It is all so gratifying.
There’s a Paul Simon song I’ve been listening to of late called Dazzling Blue.

Maybe love’s an accident, or destiny is true
But you and I were born beneath a star of dazzling blue

The mystic in me really believes in the notion that the experience we share in the theatre when the lights go down and the faces of the front few rows of audience are caught in the glow bouncing off the stage is a reflection of something called love. It’s that place where we’re welcomed to be whatever we feel.

There’s a brand new story on our stage, and it was invented for each one of everyone who comes to participate.

- Morris

3 comments:

  1. Rosebud Theater remembered me how much I like to enjoy a play. I first enjoyed so muchThe Diary of Adam and Eve and then, with Queen Milli of Galt you are diving into a brilliant, fresh and very emotional story. True or false story, who cares, it's simply beautiful! Even though I missed some words (as english is not my native language), I felt the emotions, I laugh loudly and wet my shirt with tears. Thank you to all people who helped to make this moment very special. I'm a fan and will be back for more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marie. We're so glad you enjoyed the show. This kind of response is one of the reasons we do what we do. Spread the word about Queen Milli and Rosebud, and come back for more of our 2011 season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morris,

    We just took in the matinee earlier today. We have seen several of Rosebud's productions and they all have been excellent. Today's production, in my opinion, stand out as exceptional. It is definitely a 'must see' and I will be telling everyone so. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete