Thursday 27 April 2017

Guest Artist "Snapshot" - Daniel Fong

Daniel Fong makes his Rosebud Theatre debut playing various roles in this season’s ‘The Skin of Our Teeth’.  Best known for his work in the Calgary theatre scene, previous credits include: ‘Fortune Falls’ (Catalyst Theatre / ATP); ‘The Circle’ (ATP); ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ (Theatre Calgary / Shakespeare by the Bow); ‘Twelfth Night’, DiVerseCity (The Shakespeare Company); ‘A Christmas Carol’ (Belfry Theatre);  ‘The 12 Days of Christmas’ (Stage West for Kids); ‘Spring Awakening’ (Artists Collective Theatre); ‘Twelfth Night’ (Suspension of Disbelief); and ‘The Wasp’ (Ignite! 2013). Credits for Film / TV include: Fargo, Wynonna Earp, Mutant World, The Dorm, Forsaken, and Klondike. Daniel is a graduate of Grant MacEwan University Theatre Arts Program.
 
Daniel Fong in Rosebud Theatre's The Skin of our Teeth. Photo by Morris Ertman.
Where do you call home?
I call Calgary my home, I was born and raised there, however I did go to Edmonton for University!

What’s the city’s best kept secret?
All of the amazing food you can get Every day I am discovering a new restaurant that just blows me away!

What’s your favorite late night snack?
Popcorn from the movie theatre… nothing beats popcorn from the movie theatre.

“Must-have” morning ritual?
Taking the longest and hottest shower possible.

Coffee or Tea and how do you take it?
I don’t drink coffee and I only drink tea if I am sick! Otherwise I usually just drink as much water as I can.

You’ve done a fair amount of musicals, including the central role in ‘Fortune Falls’ this last October with Catalyst Theatre at ATP. What’s a story you’d like to see turned into a musical?
I don’t know if it’s a story per se, but I would love to see a Sci-fi musical of some kind that is done right! I think it’s a genre that hasn’t been explored (maybe for good reason) but I would love to see what it would be like!

Daniel Fong delivers a semi-apocalyptic singing telegram. Photo by Morris Ertman. 
In ‘The Skin of Our Teeth’ you play a number of roles, in a play that has layers of meaning. What’s something that’s resonated for you in the rehearsal process?
The biggest thing for me coming out of this show has been the understanding of how circular the tropes and habits of humanity are. We are constantly coming back to the same trials and problems of old, and yet for some reason we always see them as some brand new problem that has never been faced before.

Any unexpected moments or mishaps in rehearsal or performance?
Well, I can say, as embarrassed as I am about it, for the first time ever in rehearsal, I fell off the stage. But the biggest treat has been getting to watch all my castmates and learn from their acting and performances.

What’s your favorite way to fill your free time?
I am obsessed with board games and so lately I have been organizing games nights and playing as many different ones as I can get my hands on!

Lastly, what’s a piece of advice you hold close to your heart?
A teacher of mine in University game me a little card when I graduated, and on it was a quote that said,
“I do not live in a life-threatening profession, you will get through this.”

- And it has always been my saving thought when the business gets stressful.



It's no ordinary play! Come see Daniel Fong and host of characters navigate time and other natural disasters in ‘The Skin of Our Teeth’, playing on our Opera House Main-stage until June 3. For tickets and more information visit www.rosebudtheatre.com

No comments:

Post a Comment